Places and Buildings in Brixworth
All Saints' Church
The church was built about 680A.D. and is the largest surviving Anglo Saxon building in the country. It is a grade 1 Listed Building . It has Romanesque tiled arches and a unique round stair turret. The Lady Chapel daters from the 13th century and the spire was added around 1350.
In 1809 workmen, working in the Lady Chapel, removed a projecting stone in the south wall. It turned out to be a reliquary dating from the 14th Century containing a small human throat bone. Whilst there is little documentary evidence it is believed that this bone belonged to St Boniface, a martyred early Christian missionary.
The feast of St Boniface is commemorated with the the annual church fete on the first weekend in June.
More information can be found on the Friends of All Saints website
All Saints' Church Brixworth
Thomas Roe Charity Building /
Thomas Roe Charity Building / Heritage Centre.
In 1665 Thomas Roe bequeathed land in Scaldwell Road for the education of poor children. The Trustees of the Thomas Roe Charity had the building erected in 1811 to educate 'ten poor children from the parish of Brixworth and ten from Scaldwell'.In the subsequent years the building has been used as an infants school, the Instiutute, a boys club and by the village scouts.
In 1993 the Friends of Brixworth Church completed the purchase of the building and after two years of renovation work it was reopened as the Friends of All Saints Church Heritage Centre.
The Brixworth Union Workhouse was openned in 1837 to accomodate inmates of ther parishes covered by the Brixworth Union. The area covered by the union was 87 square miles. In 1935 the functions of the workhouse were taken over by the Rural District Council. The buildings at the rear were demolished.
The remaining buildings are still in use as offices. (more information....)
Saga of the Silver Street Pump (more information....)
Archeological research in 2005 by Dr Tom Welsh of UCN has uncovered evidence of three sites of interest.
Wolfage Manor, on ground to the south east of the village was believed to date back to the early 16th century. (more..)
Ringwork to the south west of the village is thought to be of late saxon or norman origin.(more...)
There appears to be an oval settlement enclosure, possibly of bronze age to the south west of the village. (more....)